Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Douchebaggery?

So,
I just read the news that Joaquin Phoenix has decided to retire from acting and pursue music as his career.
I could not be less ambivalent towards what another person outside my little world decides to do with their life but I must comment on the comments I viewed following this announcement on comingsoon.net

A lot of people, claiming to be first as usual, just railing against the man and calling him a terrible actor and that he's a douchebag and he's a fool for leaving acting and it's "unfair" that a great actor like Heath Ledger died and Joaquin Phoenix is just throwing his career away...

It went on.

And pretty much any post about anything these days is followed by a string of comments bashing this or that or completely missing the point of why these things exist in the first place.

Do these people really care that much about Joaquin Phoenix that they have to bash him?
Is there a shortage of actors?
Do they really believe he is retiring?

Again. I couldn't care less. If he wants to retire and he does, fine. If not, fine.
I don't care.
Even if the situation was that he was leaving in the middle of some grandiose Hollywood franchise series (imagine if the Harry Potter kid just decided to retire after 5 films or whatever), it doesn't matter.

This culture of simple minded cretins echoing false sentiment as if it really matters to them is exhasperating.

And I could continue to comment that the internet gives every wannabe cyberpunk with the net handle of J3D1 or N30, or any other stupid handle, but then I remember that I am writing a blog that nobody reads.

No comments: